Monday 20 June 2011

Homemade Bread


The other day I randomly got this idea to try and bake my own bread, me being a big advocate for having as much homemade as possible, so I went looking for a recipe and came across this one (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2060/easy-white-bread). The website has recipes for all types of bread but I chose this one mainly because it calls for olive oil, and I am a HUGE fan of olive oil. I try to incorporate it into everything I possibly can because I know it is extremely good for you, inside and out (not only do I eat it, I cleanse, shave, and moisturize my skin with it, both straight and mixed with other creams). I also thought it would give the bread a nice texture.

I always had this notion that baking bread at home from scratch was hard and that's why most people don't really do it anymore, at least most of the people I know, aside from both of my grandmothers who always baked their own bread. But I was so wrong! It is probably one of the easiest things I have ever made - even easier than pie! Yes, easier than PIE! From now on when something is easy I am going to say "easy as bread". Anyways, the recipe calls for white flour but I used whole wheat instead, sifting it so as to try and prevent it getting lumpy, because I really wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. It actually turned out great, and I was very impressed with myself (although I probably shouldn't be, as it was really easy). Here are some close ups:


It didn't call for sesame seeds to be put on top, but I like seedy bread and thought I would add a little touch. NOTE TO SELF: If you ever desire to put sesame seeds on top of bread again, put some egg wash on first, or else when you cut the bread the seeds WILL fall off... true story :(




I was very happy with the recipe. In fact, yesterday evening I baked two more loaves. This time however I decided to just make it with regular white flour in the typical breadpans.


Aren't they beautiful? I was ecstatic the whole time I was handling the dough. It was so smooth and bouncy. Words just cannot explain, it was just so much fun! Also, my mom taught me a trick. She said that if you want soft crust instead of hard, all you have to do is rub some butter over the top just as they come out of the oven, so that's what we did. You can see that the top of the bread has a little shine to it :)


Perfect, soft, warm, white bread. I will definately continue making my own bread from now on. I might even try spelt or kamut flour sometime as well. I can't help but think that it is just so much better for you, because there are no additives, perservatives, unnecessary sugar, or anything like that, and it tastes so much better. As they say, "Quality over quantity" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment