Monday 20 June 2011

The Best Granola Recipe Ever!! (If I do say so myself)

I have always wanted to try my hand at making my own granola bars, because they make a good snack but the ones you buy at the grocery stores (with the exception of perhaps Kashi) have way too much sugar and seem more like cookies. Instead of making bars, however, I decided to just make simple granola that I could sprinkle over yogurt. I tried to look up a recipe but nothing I saw suited my fancy, so, instead of being discouraged and giving up, I decided to make up my own recipe! Afterall, how hard could it be to bake some oats?

Not hard at all! I threw some things together that I thought would work and was very pleasantly surprised in the end. Here is my recipe:

1 cup oats
¼ cup loosely packed brown sugar
¼ cup chopped pumpkin seeds
¼ cup dried coconut
¼ cup melted butter
 ½ tsp. of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Pinch of salt
_____________________________________
 Mix melted butter in last
Put on a lightly greased baker’s sheet and spread around.
Bake for 15 minutes on 375 or until it reaches desired crunchiness

Of course, you can add or subtract as much or as little of anything as you wish. One good thing about making your own granola is that you can control the sugar amount and the crunchiness. I find sometimes that storebought granola is so crunchy I feel like my teeth are breaking. Unfortunately, I did not get any pictures of the making progress, but I did get to take some pictures of my new favourite breakfast that stars the granola.


Here's what I do:

 - slice a banana and lay it at the bottom of the bowl
 - lay some blueberries on top (I only have frozen blueberries right now so I put some in a dish the night before to defrost in the fridge)
 - spoon as much yogurt as you want over the fruit. I like to use plain Greek yogurt, but first I mix a little bit of honey in just to take the tarty edge away.
- sprinkle some granola on top, and voila!

It is the most delicious breakfast; healthy yet indulgent and satisfying! It keeps me going until lunch. Here are some close ups





No comments:

Post a Comment