Monday 20 June 2011

Succulent Roast Beef and Potatoes

So I'm sitting in my chair one day, taking intervals between watching the Food Network and reading a book, as usual, and a thought occurs to me that it has been a really long time since having a nice roast beef. I've had roast beef, but usually it was either too dry or too tough to chew. And then I got an idea to get a nice roast (making sure it had bones and some marbling, both of which are important for having a nice piece of meat) and to slow roast it over several hours so that it's tender and juicy. I wasn't expecting to do it for a while, when I finally get a job and therefore some money to go out and get a good quality roast, but on Saturday as I was looking through the deepfreeze to find something else I discovered that my mom had already bought a roast with all the criteria that I had wanted! So I asked her if I could cook it the next day and she said yes!

I remember growing up in Newfoundland most people had cooked dinner (what we call a chicken or roast beef dinner) almost every Sunday, and if you didn't cook it yourself you would go to an aunt's or uncle's house where they would have it done. Since moving to Alberta, that tradition has kind of ended for us as the culture up here is more a "go out and eat" kind of culture. I kind of miss going to church and coming home good and hungry ready for a homemade cooked dinner, and it was nice to be able to do it myself for the first time. So I got up at 7am and got the roast ready. I put in the roaster, put salt, pepper, and garlic powder on both sides and put it in the oven on 350 F.


I didn't end up going to church after, so around ten thirty I took the roast out of the oven in put the potatoes in around the meat to roast themselves. While shopping the day before I found a bag of mini potatoes that not only had red and yellow potatoes, but purple ones as well! I was especially excited about that, as I had never had one before. I didn't add olive oil or anything, I just plopped them into the dripping from the roast and added salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and oregano. I also added more of these spices to the roast.


I kept the heat on for another 45 minutes then turned the heat off and just left the roast in the oven until my dad came home. Here is the end result!!


It was amazingly tender and moist. I tried to capture that in the pictures but I don't think I did it justice. It probably looks more disgusting than it actually was :P


I also tried to take a good picture of the potatoes, but didn't do them justice, either. They were pretty good. As excited as I was for the purple potatoes, I actually liked the red ones better. They were more tender and seemed to hold more of the flavour than the yellow and purples ones, but I'm glad I tried it.

Obviously, this was not a lean meal, so I never ate a lot of it, just took a proper serving of each and tried to eat it slowly, savouring each bite. It was a nice Father's Day meal, and today my dad got to take his favourite for lunch at work: a roast beef sandwhich on fresh homemade bread :)

No comments:

Post a Comment